[clug] Picking a VM for Debian servers: KVM/Qemu, XEN or VirtualBox

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Apr 30 04:43:28 MDT 2010

steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> writes:

> We'll be getting some new Xeon 5500/5600 servers soon and I need to setup a
> robust VM system for the services running on some. Notably the
> databases. Yes, we love MySQL and Postgres equally :-)

[...]

> I'd dearly like to run 'containers' alongside these VM's as well.
> There are some references to Promox (?) and Opennode supporting KVM and
> OpenVZ together. [and saw a sideways ref to recursive KVM]
>
> Any war stories, comments for/against, preferences or quibbles?
> Ie. What VM do you use, and why?

We are moving to Proxmox in favour of raw OpenVZ for container support; so far
this has been a strict win.  I wish I could fund faster development of their
HA support in release 2.0 for OpenVZ containers as well as KVM. :)

In any case, KVM does OK for testing but we have not put it into production.
However, I don't see any great reason to suspect it will do worse than the
"hosted" versions of VMWare and co.

        Daniel