[clug] OT: Solar power recommendations and advice

Andrew Loughhead andrew.loughhead at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 05:13:15 MDT 2010

Michael Still wrote:
> It is my understanding that you can't just turn coal power plants up
> and down... I believe they normally run at the maximum output required
> in the daily cycle, and various companies buy the unneeded power at a
> cheaper rate.
On the electric car interview I posted the other day [1] this fact was
used to support the overnight charging of electric cars, as producing a
net CO2 reduction from electric car use, in comparison to petrol.  The
power and CO2 are already being produced anyway, so the electric car
lets the community make use of it.  Presumably its only true if some of
the overnight power is not doing anything useful already.

1. http://www.abc.net.au/rn/latenightlive/stories/2010/2873530.htm