[clug] Heart rate monitors and GNU/Linux

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Sun Sep 20 18:26:59 MDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:12:35AM +1000, Edward Lang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anyone locally use a heart rate monitor and read its data using a FOSS
> application? I'm interested in some of the higher end Polar / Suunto /
> Garmin devices for a variety of sports -- in particular I'd like
> cadence graphing for cycling, and GPS mapping for rowing.
> SportsTracker[0] seems to be the tool of choice but it only lists its
> compatibility with the previous generation of devices, nor does it
> indicate one way or another if it supports those features I want.
>
> If someone does know much about this sort of stuff I'd be keen to see
> it demonstrated at an upcoming CLUG meeting -- maybe not this month,
> but perhaps the next one?

The Garmin ForeRunner 305 works a treat with Linux. [0]

The fact it has GPS built in also is an added bonus.

	See You
	    Steve

[0] With special thanks to Mikey and Tonyb at ozlabs for work on software to
make it google maps friendly with grapsh and stuff too.

> Regards,
>
> Edward.
>
> [0] http://www.saring.de/sportstracker/
>
> --
> Edward C. Lang
>
> http://edlang.org/
> --

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org http://svana.org/sjh/diary
it's a narrow margin, just room enough for regret
in the inch and a half between hey, how ya been?
and can i kiss you yet?
   Providence - To The Teeth - Ani