[clug] building deb package roundcube

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Wed Nov 18 22:14:58 MST 2009

Craig Small wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:18:10AM +1100, jm wrote:
>
>> dpkg-buildpackage: warning: using a gain-root-command while being root
>>
> i.e you dont need -rfakeroot

Doesn't matter it's on an development/testing machine that looks like it
needs to be hosed and rebuilt.

> It has tried to parse the Debian changelog and something in it is wrong.
> To just get the thing built, if you are building it for yourself and not
> distributing is to just mangle the changelog so it has one entry.
>
> It's evil but it may work for you.
>
> For my Changelog.pm line 533 is where its trying to find the meta data
> like maintaier etc.

After driving myself nuts for a few hours (most of the day actually)
going around in circles trying various things and crazy web searches to
see if there was anything out there already on this...I gave up. Only
for a little while though. I decide in one last fit of desperation to
install a new machine with karmic (actually installed hardy and then
dist-upgraded to karmic). Downloaded the source files again. Reran the
steps,

dpkg-source -x roundcube_0.3-2.dsc
cd roundcube-0.3/
dpkg-buildpackage -b

and...IT WORKED. This also works with roundcube_0.3.1-1 off the
packages.debian.org web site.

Thanks to those that tried to help.

Jeff.