[clug] Has anyone got a recent nVidia card working multi-resolution?

Duncan Roe duncan_roe at optusnet.com.au
Thu May 21 22:37:38 GMT 2009

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for that. Yes I know it's the FOSS driver and I'm attempting to build the
driver from the NVidia web site - do you know if it'll work better?

I say attempting because it very cleverly detected that I'd upgraded to gcc-4.2
from gcc-3.3 after building the kernel which I thought was pretty impressive. I
trimmed too much with make xconfig and my latest attempt doesn't boot - but I'll
get there.

I'm running Slackware of various vintages - but I did upgrade the "x" part to
Slackware-12.2 (xorg 1.4.2). That wasn't a complete success to begin with - it
missed that /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc had changed from being a directory to being
a file. Keyboard did not work well until I found that, but I digress.

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 11:03:36PM +1000, Andrew Janke wrote:
> Hi Duncan,
>
> > can anyone hit me with a clue bat?
>
> > ? ? ? ?Driver ? ? ?"nv"
> > ? ? ? ?VendorName ?"nVidia Corporation"
> > ? ? ? ?BoardName ? "Unknown Board"
>
> The Driver "nv" part means that you aren't running the nvidia driver
> but rather the FOSS nv driver which probably isn't what you want.

> Which distribution are you running?
>

> --
> Andrew Janke
> (a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)
> Canberra->Australia    +61 (402) 700 883

Cheers ... Duncan.