[clug] Re: Slackware session: was Debian session for any Choobs?

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 20:43:47 GMT 2009

> If a Ubuntu user
> offered up equivalent set of reasons for their choice of distro, would you
> consider that shallow?

Yep. The article just isn't particularly well written.

> What has source got to do with it? Slackware is a binary-based distro.

Sorry, my mistake. I thought it was similar to the Gentoo approach.

> It works for me. The article summed up most of my reasons for using
> Slackware, so I thought that it would save repetition.

Okay.

> Apart from briefly mentioning that unlike many other purportedly "easy"
> distros, Slackware doesn't use GUI for installation or configuration, I
> wouldn't waste my time discussing any of the above distros. A demonstration
>  of Slackware should allow the audience to make up their minds.

Well, Debian and Ubuntu each have a test based installer for those who
want it, though perhaps the Slackware approach is different from
theirs.

> I would be happy to do an installation in the background on a "difficult"
> computer, if anyone would care to bring one (difficult to configure, but not
> broken or definitely unsupported).  With any luck, the installation should
> be quicker and smoother than many other distros could manage......

That would be cool. I'd like to see what it has to offer.

--
MC