[clug] Calling all Linux n00bs

Felix Karpfen felixk at webone.com.au
Fri Jun 12 21:22:43 GMT 2009

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 12:19:49 +1000, Alex Satrapa wrote:

> On 11/06/2009, at 08:32 , Felix Karpfen wrote:
>
>> To be explored.  To me it sounded very like some of the features
>> currently
>> provided by "Skype".
>
> Skype is based on proprietary standards, and does wonderful things
> like turn your connection into a "supernode" if you have halfways
> decent bandwidth. What this means is that no other software can
> interact with Skype without the Skype company's blessing, and
> furthermore Skype will use your connection to host calls for other
> people you don't know (ie: chew up your bandwidth without your
> permission).

One of the many enterprising business initiatives from which - as a
"dialup user" - I have hitherto been both ignorant and protected.

SNIP

> Stay away from Skype, it's a trap for the unaware in the same way that
> Microsoft Word is.

My computer landscape is full of (signposted) deep holes; one of these is
labeled "Microsoft Word".  It is good to know that its content can safely
be ignored.

> .. [SIP] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SIP_software .. [AST]
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/01/22/asterisk2.html

Thank you for the pointers.  Flagged for download!

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)