[clug] Windows Tax refund and ASUS

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Fri Jun 12 01:06:36 GMT 2009

Chris Smart wrote:

> But of course this is all hypothetical. You can kick and scream all
> you like, but no-one has taken it to court (who would over $200?) so
> no-one really knows.
>
> You might only get $20 back cause I don't think they on-sell it for
> much, or these days you might have to pay Microsoft to get a refund!

OK, I was feeling too chirpy today anyway (the things I do for you
guys), the text at the start of the XP Eula
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/eula/home.mspx) says it all;

"IMPORTANT-READ CAREFULLY: This End-User License Agreement ("EULA") is a
legal agreement between you (either an individual or a single entity)
and Microsoft Corporation for the Microsoft software that accompanies
this EULA, which includes computer software and may include associated
media, printed materials, "online" or electronic documentation, and
Internet-based services ("Software"). An amendment or addendum to this
EULA may accompany the software. YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF
THIS EULA BY INSTALLING, COPYING, OR OTHERWISE USING THE SOFTWARE. IF
YOU DO NOT AGREE, DO NOT INSTALL, COPY, OR USE THE SOFTWARE; YOU MAY
RETURN IT TO YOUR PLACE OF PURCHASE FOR A FULL REFUND, IF APPLICABLE."

Vista's says;

"These license terms are an agreement between Microsoft Corporation (or
based on where you live, one
of its affiliates) and you. Please read them. They apply to the software
named above, which includes
the media on which you received it, if any. The terms also apply to any
Microsoft
     ·    updates,
     ·    supplements,
     ·    Internet-based services, and
     ·    support services
for this software, unless other terms accompany those items.      If so,
those terms apply.
By using the software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept
them, do not use the
software. Instead, return it to the retailer for a refund or credit. If
you cannot obtain a refund
there, contact Microsoft or the Microsoft affiliate serving your country
for information about Microsoft’s
refund policies. See www.microsoft.com/worldwide. In the United States
and Canada, call (800)
MICROSOFT or see www.microsoft.com/info/nareturns.htm."

So, basically, it's up to the place of purchase to honor the warranty.

have a read of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_refund for prior
precendence.

--
--==--