[clug] Mono in Linux

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Tue Jun 2 02:28:57 GMT 2009

2009/6/2 Nathan O'Sullivan <nathan.osullivan at team.mammoth.com.au>:

> I was making the comment that C# and Java are so similar, that if a
> Microsoft patent covers something in C# it almost certainly covers the same
> thing in Java.

Sure, that might be the case (although it is possibly the other way
around!), but this is no different to any open source application. The
difference is that the people controlling the Java spec have the
ability to remove the patent issues as they are raised by others.

> The GPL licensing of Java just binds Sun's behaviour in relation to Java,
> not Microsoft's.

Sure, but if Microsoft sues over some patent they feel is violated in
Java, then it will be changed in Java so that the patent is not
violated. That's very different to using technology owned by Microsoft
where they aren't obligated to make it free at all.

> I completely agree that submarine patents are a massive threat to the entire
> industry, but I dont see any reason to believe that using Java is somehow
> safe when C# is not.

Well, hopefully that is now more clear :-) Java is GPL'd so it is much
more safe, and like any other open source project. Microsoft's .NET on
the other hand, is not.

To explain why it's not a problem, have a read of my article "Trimming
the FAT: Linux and Patents" which is linked in the article, or via
this link:
"http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7325"

Happy to discuss further :-)

-c