[clug] Being polite on the list - or: Geek Feminism 101

Neill Cox neill.cox at ingenious.com.au
Tue Jul 21 00:27:18 MDT 2009

You all realized you need 5 in a row to win at bingo?

I'm not sure it was ever "politically correct" to call a room full of
men a "bunch of d1cks", but I could care less.  I'm also not sure
where the humiliation  or initimidation have been used in this
discussion.

I don't care about being politically correct, I care that women are
under represented on this list. We have 2 or 3 regular contributors
and another 2 or 3 irregular contributors. If they ( or most of them )
say that part of the problem is the language we use then I think we
should listen and consider their views.

I've worked in IT for 30 years now and I have never seen the same
level of gender imbalance as we have in the FOSS community generally
and CLUG seems a particular example.

Some of this may be self interest - I have four daughters who I would
love to see more involved in FOSS. I also have two sons I'd like to
see more involved, but the daughters are the ones with few or no peers
to speak to.

I am glad Kristy, Lana and Jacinta are part of our community, but I'd
like to see more female voices.

I can't (and don't want to) dictate how people should speak on the
list, but we have a problem and suggesting that those of us who are
concerned about it are just being politically correct will not solve it.

Regards,
Neill Cox