[clug] Linux challenges

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Wed Jul 15 08:15:41 MDT 2009

Wesley Bruce wrote:
> I'm a microsoft refugee interested in FOSS but not a programmer.
> I'm new to linux and am finding that it ain't as easy as Microsoft.
> Generally I'm running into problems with software that assumes a lot
> about the users level of information linux/Unix. The Jargon's atrocious
> and unintelligible and not in the glossaries or the help pages. They
> always start and step B or C Assuming you know where to put code. That's
> got to be A. For those of us that are used to microsoft's automatic
> installation it unbelievably frustrating.
>
> Where do you get a basic out line of what "Make" means ...

Other people have already mentioned that you shouldn't be getting these
sort of problems. I suspect the problem you have is your approach to
installing new programs.

With Windows you go to the website of the piece of software you want to
install, download it, run the installer etc.

With Linux you go to your package manager software, like Synaptic and
install it from there. You do this for ALL your software. The biggest
mistake you can make when you are new to Linux is to go outside your
package manager and install things manually. Debian has over 25113
packages, other distributions have similar numbers. What you need should
already be packaged for you.

It is possible to install things manually but it's an advanced operation
and even then you work with the package management system as much as you
can. This is why all the instructions you are seeing are written for
programmers. The only people who should be installing software libraries
like Atlas C++ are software developers working on or with the library.
You shouldn't ever need to install it manually and they don't want to
encourage you to do so.

David