[clug] Asterix at home

David Cottrill cottrill.david at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 05:01:41 MDT 2009

At work I set up proprietary SIP/VoIP systems day in and day out.
I've gotten Asterisk working at home but I had to sell my good kidney
to do it. I suggest you either derive your Asterisk installation from
one of those distros that has it pre install (Trixbox?) or spend a
fraction of the time and effort on a ready made solution.

Once you have Asterisk up and running it can do pretty much anything
if you need it to, the trick is getting it up and running.

For the record my home router/server is an old laptop that consumes
40W and provides a 20GB network drive that is always there. It will be
shelved soon for an embedded router (I can finally have wifi!) and a
NAS bringing the total power bill to about 10W + 2TB worth of hard
drive consumption, more or less the same if I tweak the hard drive
power settings in the (Debian) NAS.
When the time comes I will be asking exactly how to tweak the hard
drive settings to spin down when possible.
David