[clug] Why isn't Java popular on the Linux Desktop? [SEC=PERSONAL]

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Sat Jul 11 10:20:17 MDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 03:04:07PM +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> I guess that code sharing is also more limited than for native code, so
> multiple disparate Java applications, each with their own VM, would cost more
> than native code that can share read-only pages more effectively.

The whole memory management methodolgy of Java seems terrible for me.
On startup it allocates some fixed amount of memory. And when you run
out you're stuck. I've never understood why the memory usage couldn't
be more dynamic, allocating more as needed and freeing to the OS when
it wasn't...

I mean, if you're going to all the trouble of a garbage collector, it
should give you the freedom to manage these kinds of things, right?

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/