[clug] Why isn't Java popular on the Linux Desktop?

jhock jhock at iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 10 18:28:19 MDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 12:13 +1000, Nathan O'Sullivan wrote:

> I'm not involved in the Java world, but perhaps someone here is. Why do
> you think Java has not taken off for Linux Desktop apps? What needs to
> happen for it to do so?

I have recently done a java programming language course.  The general
consensus of the people at that course (including the lecturer) is that
people prefer to use java to develop web applications instead of
desktops applications because the software is considered an enterprise
solution and not a desktop solution.

I found out, at the course, that PERL is much easier to use. ;--)

John