[clug] Advice on a new printer please

peter anderson peterjohnanderson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 21:47:19 MDT 2009

Hi!

I am looking at buying a new mono laser printer.  I am trying to make
the switch from Windows to Ubuntu and printing is the "last barrier".
I have a Canon LBP-1210 mono laser printer that used to be able to be
configured for Ubuntu printing but this has not been possible since
Ubuntu 8.xx.  What I am looking for is something in the AUD100 to
AUD200 price range and (most importantly) a printer with a "printer
setup" capability like my current Canon on Windows XP.  That is, the
ability to support portrait, landscape, 2-up on a single A4 page and
good print quality.

I have looked at the type of printers available from Harris Technology
(I live in Batemans Bay and Fyshwick is easy to get to); here is the
link:

http://www.ht.com.au/N/Printing-Ink-Mono-Laser-Printers-Entry-Level-Mono-Lasers/list.hts

>From the printers on that page my research shows that the following
have Linux drivers:

* HP LaserJet P1005
* HP LaserJet P1006
* HP LaserJet P1505 (this is outside my price range but might be Ok)
* Samsung ML-1640
* Lexmark E120n
* Brother HL-2140
* Brother HL-5340D (a new model not on the HT website yet)

HP printers seem to have HP Linux Imaging and Printing software
already included in Ubuntu 9.04.

Both the Brother printers have cupswrapper drivers and the 5340 has a ppd file.

Has anyone had any experience with any of these printers or can you
recommend something similar.

Thanks in advance,
Peter
--
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in