[clug] Perl "Preprocessor".

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Feb 27 03:29:41 GMT 2009

Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com> writes:
> Thanks all for th suggestions, in the end I went for par as per
> Daniels suggestion  (thanks!)
>
>> Yeah, absolutely.  The tool you are after is 'par', which allows you to
>> package some combination of:
>>
>> 1. Your script and non-core modules in a single script.
>> 2. Your script and all modules, including core, in a single script.
>> 3. Your script, all modules, and the Perl binary, in a single script.
>
> Happen to know if you can make #1 non-dependant on PAR itself?

Oh.  Yes, you can; 'pp -P' generates a stand-alone Perl script.[1]
That shouldn't depend on anything but the script and a working Perl
installation on the platform, I believe.

> I can see it happening now..
> a) make script with par
> b) distribute script
> c) user uses script gets error message "install PAR, go to CPAN".

:)  No, it isn't that bad.  Sorry to be misleading.

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  ...unless you are running Debian/unstable, in which it case the
     Debian maintainers broke the code in an effort to achieve policy
     compliance, damn their eyes.