[clug] Exercise and pay the bills!

Ben shadroth at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 16:40:45 GMT 2009

I'm involved with building two such machines.

We're planning on making an upright style bike, but mine will be a
recumbent that I can sit in at the computer, It will be tilted back
with monitors above so I"ll be half lying down while using the PC.

For the generators we are using the permanent magnet motors that can
be "recovered" from Fisher & Paykel and other direct drive washing
machines. They are 3 phase and I'm pretty sure 240V.

They also have all the bearings etc. but these could run a little
smoother so I'm not sure if we'll use them or not. you have to break
off the water seal. If you hate washing machines, then it's quite a
therapeutic recovery process. :-)

We also reuse the bridge rectifier and other diodes.

I'm just doing the grunt work, so I don't really know where it goes from there.