[clug] Internet banking and browser compatibility

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 00:26:30 GMT 2009

2009/2/16 Robert Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au>:
> What about: (ring telco) "Ahh, just lost my mobile, wonder if you could
> transfer my number to this other SIM I happen to have, just for a while
> as I need to take some important calls...". A bit of social engineering
> later... bingo! you can get the SMS from the bank

This is why my mobile account has a passphrase on it.  You would need
to do a lot of social engineering to get it and I have specifically
instructed the teleco that there is no "password recovery -- mothers
maiden name etc" shenanigans to be used.

Yes, this does not make it secure but it does make it harder for a
would be "baddie(TM)" to get to my $$$ before I myself ring up and
cancel/transfer the SIM.  (My phone is my life... :)