[clug] Neat Backup Solutions for desktops...

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 01:36:40 MST 2009

> In my professional life, I can't remember once when I was able to
> recover from backups easily/simply - sometimes, or at all.
> This includes using commercial products & server-grade drives/media.

ditto.

In short I am yet to find a tape based system that doesn't break right
when you need it. Especially in situations like having to first get
the machine back to a state where it can talk to a fibre based SAN to
read the data in the first place.  (Origin 3800 system + L180
storagetek with FC LTO3's) There was no option to have a backup system
to read from the tapes as the backup was IRIX based and there was no
second machine. To buy said second machine would have cost
$<ridiculous>.

Similar stories on various other tape systems and is the reason why
these days I predominately use spinning disks to mirror/backup. I have
never understood the attraction with tapes, disks also make encryption
easy with LUKS.

The worst data recovery effort I can remember being involved in was
extracting about 5TB in a SGI DMF thing that was simply "broken".
About a month later....

--
Andrew Janke
(a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)