[clug] remote logging question

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Wed Aug 26 05:02:53 MDT 2009

I have the machines around the house set up to remotely log to
my server. This works well.

I also have my ADSL/router/firewall log in a similar way. I recently upgraded
my main server and as such the router was moved to the new machine.

Since this change the entries in the serve log that arrive from the router
have an empty remote host name. A proper entry reads something like this
	Aug 26 19:39:41  -- MARK --
when it should be
	Aug 26 19:39:41 e5 -- MARK --

All other machines do have their name in the log. The router used to have its
name too:
	Aug 15 16:10:30 e5.eyal.emu.id.au  -- MARK --

I understand that it is the log server that adds the remote host name. I
am trying to find why rsyslog fails now. The old system was a very old
Debian and probably used a different log server.

My server does resolve the router IP:
	[root at e7 ~]# host 192.168.2.5
	5.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer e5.eyal.emu.id.au.

TIA

--
Eyal Lebedinsky	(eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)