[clug] Fossil SCM

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Wed Aug 5 18:04:58 MDT 2009

On 05/08/2009, at 09:31 , jm wrote:

> Fossil is a distributed software version control system that
> includes an integrated distributed wiki and an integrated
> distributed bug-tracking system ...

This addresses one issue I was having with git and Subversion: they're
only 1/3 of the toolset required for collaborative development. git
was designed with the assumption that you'd be organising projects
using other mechanisms such as email, forums, phone calls, whatever.
Subversion was only designed with the goal of "doing CVS better", and
most people I know who use Subversion also use Trac or some similar
too to manage tickets and provide some integration with the revision
control system

I'll be paying some attention to fossil - I'm sure folks like Mikal
will be wondering "why bother" when they're used to having pervasive
Internet access, but for my purposes a distributed project environment
is much more convenient than any 3G offering that I've had experience
with in Australia.

Thanks for bringing this one up :)
Alex