[clug] Digital Photo Frames

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 11:17:19 GMT 2009

> I did mine with an old EPIA-based box running diskless and fanless,
> booting over the net and mounting the photos directory using NFS over
> a wired LAN connection.

Interesting.

> Didn't bother too much about "framing" the LCD panel - it just hangs
> on the wall like a flat panel TV.

Ah, OK. In my case I just removed everything plastic until I had a
bare LCD unit and framed it from there.

> Don't know much about wireless monitor extenders. Pushing VGA/XVGA
> over a wireless link is gonna hurt some, I'm thinking (on the other
> hand, pushing JPEGs or other compressed images might work fine). How
> expensive are those things?

Most only go up to 1024x768 (think airport monitor / add board in
supermarket) from what I can see. They are typically around $160 or so
for a cheapie.

> What are you planning to do about fades between photos etc.?

For now Picasa for Linux. If only because it does a nice job of
displaying JPEG comments along with the images. I try to write
comments for all our images.