[clug] access control list search algorithms

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Thu Apr 2 03:37:06 GMT 2009

jm wrote:
> Does anyone know of any algorithms for speeding up searching of access
> control lists? Is there anything more efficient than a sequential search?
>
> Jeff.

I should elaborate. I'm mucking about with email trying to develop a
progrom to give finer control over smtp delivery. My ACL is made up of
senders and recipients with wildcards thrown in for good measure. For
example,

index        sender                           recipient
               action
1              fred at example.org         '*'
allow
2              '*'                                  joe at example.org     deny
3             admin at example.org    '*'                               allow

so

  fred at example.org can send to anyone
  admin at example.org can send to everyone, but joe at example.org because it
is blocked by rule 2
  no-one can send to joe at example.com

At least that's what I'm think of at the moment. if there's a better way
to accomplish the samething feel free to suggest it as well.

Jeff.