[clug] VOIP advice

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Fri Oct 3 23:23:08 GMT 2008

2008/10/4 Brian <bnc at astronomicalresearchaustralia.org>:

> Yes, you do not need a landline number at all.
> When you register with your voip provider they will give you a number.
> You get everyone to call that.

True.. But on Internode one has to pay a monthly fee to get direct
inward dialing. Their free monthly service lets me dial out and
receive VOIP calls on my number, but not from landlines. Still, I
wouldn't mind having the two numbers working - once most of my calls
are going out through VOIP, paying a monthly fee and getting the
ability to receive calls on the VOIP number from a landline would be
worthwhile. I believe I can also call my home landline number (say,
from work) and then make an international call over the VOIP. This
would be handy.

> I went to http://www.upsonic.com.au/products.asp and purchased a 650V, which
> is their smallest/cheapest UPS. I have had two power failures, never lost
> the phone. Everything required to make the phone work including the router
> and the wireless link runs off the ups.

I have an APC BackUPS 500 powerboard thing I already use, so I'll make
sure the ATA goes into that too.
Thanks for the ideas.

-c