[clug] VOIP advice

Bernard Duggan bernard at guarana.org
Thu Oct 2 06:03:35 GMT 2008

Andrew Janke wrote:
>> Therefore, I'm assuming that the ATA device I get will also have a
>> standard phone line plug (as well as the RJ45 for VOIP), so that
>> regular landline calls can come in and out? Does it always make VOIP
>> calls then, or can I tell it to use the actual landline when (and if)
>> I want to?
My integrated router/ATA has exactly that setup, but presumes that your
"landline" is the same line that your ADSL comes in on (ie, it only has
one physical "incoming" line).  This may not be the case for all of them
though.  Mine makes VoIP calls by default (it supports dial plans, but I
haven't set up any) if the VoIP connection is up and falls back
automatically to the landline when it's not.  You can also override it
to use the landline by just dialling "**" first.  Both types of incoming
call ring on the same phone with a slightly (though annoyingly subtle)
different tone.

(Yet) Another thing to consider is that not all VoIP plans offer a DID
(Direct Inward Dial - a fancy term for a phone number), which means you
can make VoIP calls, but only receive landline calls.  These plans
without a DID are generally cheaper and if you have a landline that you
intend to keep (rather than going naked or wireless), and have no need
for an extra number, they're worth considering.

Cheers,

Bernard