[clug] bash stderr and not-so-stderr?

David Schoen neerolyte at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 07:46:57 GMT 2008

I've got a backup script in my cron that's echoing stuff that I don't
appear able to catch.

The problematic line looks something like:
    /usr/bin/rdiff-backup $from $to 2>&1 >> $MAILFILE || exit 1

I've simplified that line slightly for this post but it has the same problem.

I get some errors emailed to me by cron manager:
	ListError blah/.gtkrc-2.0-kde/.gvfs [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/home/blah/.gvfs'
	SpecialFileError run/cups/cups.sock Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long
	SpecialFileError run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432 Socket error: AF_UNIX
path too long

These errors arn't the part that worries me, what I'd like to know is
why didn't it get sent to $MAILFILE along with all the other output.
Is there some other uber-special-error-number I should know about, or
is there some way of working out what I've got to redirect to make it
arrive in $MAILFILE?

- Dave.