[clug] July Canberra Linux Users Group meeting

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Mon Jul 14 09:46:15 GMT 2008

	Canberra Linux Users Group Meeting - 24th July 2008

Date:           24th July 2008 (Fourth Thursday of the month)

Time:           19:00 - 21:00 (or when it finishes)

Speaker:        Dale Baldwin & Daniel Black

Abstract:
                This month sees the return of not one, but two talks!
		(We will [aim to] start right on time this month.)

		Firstly, Dale will be looking critically at the
		challenges facing Linux users and developers in
		preparing the Linux to comply with professional audio
		standards and practices. The talk will look at user
		requirements for Linux to become a viable option in the
		studio and the challenges it will face convincing
		professional musicians, producers and audio engineers to
		switch to a Linux environment.

		Then, in a world where there is so much passion and
		economics associated with SSL (certificates and
		encryption generally) Daniel will try to bring it back
		to a more sensible level. Bruce Schneier described it as
		"Digital certificates prove no actual security for
		electronic commerce; it's a complete sham" (Secrets
		and Lies) and we'll explore why that is and maybe why
		it isn't.

		To compete with the economics of that major CAs CAcert
		was formed, Daniel will talk about CAcerts community
		free certificates, its history, current status, and that
		all elusive question "when it will be in a browser?".
		Aspects of how CAcert may be useful to you will be
		presented along with how you are useful to CAcert.

		NOTE: Another email will follow with information on
		how you can prepare for the CAcert talk.

Venue:          Room N101
                Computer Science and Information Technology Building
                North Road
                The Australian National University

                See http://clug.org.au/ for more directions and a map

Food/drink:     Pizza and soft drink/juice. Come hungry, and bring
                about $6 to cover the cost of your share if you
                want some.

If you would like to give a talk at a future meeting, please email me.