[clug] ch0 missing

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Mon Jul 14 01:01:47 GMT 2008

Greetings,

Here at work we have a fibre tape library (connected to a switch) which
I use to backup data with Amanda and tar.

One annoyance is that /dev/ch0 doesn't seem to be created on boot, which
means that I have to scan the scsi bus to find out the sg device and
update files with the new device if we lose power.

I have /dev/st0 and /dev/nst0, just no /dev/ch0. I would have thought
this device would be created by udev, but maybe I'm wrong?

I can't seem to find any information on how I should create this device.
For now I have a symlink but it's a little clunkalicious. Any ideas?

>From dmesg:

 SCSI Media Changer driver v0.25
 Driver 'ch' needs updating - please use bus_type methods
 ch0: type #1 (mt): 0x1+1 [medium transport]
 ch0: type #2 (st): 0x1000+44 [storage]
 ch0: type #3 (ie): 0x10+3 [import/export]
 ch0: type #4 (dt): 0x100+2 [data transfer]
 ch0: dt 0x100: READ ELEMENT STATUS failed
 ch0: dt 0x101: READ ELEMENT STATUS failed
 ch0: INITIALIZE ELEMENT STATUS, may take some time ...
 osst :I: Tape driver with OnStream support version 0.99.4
 osst :I: $Id: osst.c,v 1.73 2005/01/01 21:13:34 wriede Exp $
 Driver 'osst' needs updating - please use bus_type methods
 ch0: ... finished
 ch 1:0:8:1: Attached scsi changer ch0

Cheers,
-c