[clug] Re: Software Feedom Day - Linux problem-solving guide

Rodney Peters rodneyp at pcug.org.au
Mon Sep 17 06:35:02 GMT 2007

I believe that many of the replies to this posting are missing the fundamental
point, which is that, for the overwhelming majority of Windows users, moving
to Linux is "a bridge too far".  They can achieve a lot without having to
take that step.  Indeed, the big risk is that by attempting to take it and
getting to some impasse, they are deterred from trying any FOSS again and
will pass on their experience to acquaintances.

The sample of 8 was interesting and the stats not encouraging.  I would not be
surprised if it's ye olde 80/20 rule:

80% of Windows users would:

get 80% of the benefit of "Linux" by installing and using FOSS applications
within Windows

save 80% of their software costs in the process

In most instances their systems would remain grossly undersecured on the
Internet - but the owners are oblivious to that anyway; indeed often difficult
to convince of it.

Many of these people purchased pre-assembled PC, having pre-installed software
from a department store or computer shop.  They are reluctant to install
anything on it.  At best, they will follow a one-click installer.  Most
commercial software and Windows drivers can be installed that way.
Fortunately, the major FOSS titles can be too.

As the co-ordinator of the PCUG's Linux SIG, I have seen many aspiring Linux
users come and go.  Those without a fair understanding of operating systems
generally drop out.  Even some who are relatively computer literate fall by
the wayside, because they won't accept that their favourite (non-essential)
piece of hardware is not supported or some (low priority) application is not
available and they are not prepared to put the money/time into sorting it out.

The other phenomenon that I strike too often is the "shed PC".  Many people
are reluctant to risk taking their main PC out of action with a failed
installation of Linux.  Instead, they resurrect a retired Win98 PC from the
shed.  If Linux does install, it runs like a dog in 128 MB of PC66 RAM, with
the result that the owner becomes disillusioned with Linux.

I'm not persuaded that concise installation documentation is a viable
solution.  I've penned some guides for the newbies in PCUG's Linux SIG.  Just
describing how to setup an DSL connection from Linux, taking all likely
scenarios into account, ran to several pages.  It's beyond the attention span
of those used to buying a PC "ready to go" and receiving a one-click
installation CD from their ISP.

By all means let's continue actively supporting Software Freedom Day - but
let's do so in a way that is likely to achieve a much higher success rate -
with Windows based FOSS, demonstrated on Windows PC.

Rod