[clug] Kernels are easy, ls is the hard part!

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Thu Sep 13 11:12:48 GMT 2007

Hugh Fisher <hugh.fisher at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> To read the article, you'll fire up a web browser and connect
> to the pcworld web server. The HTTP protocol started at the
> IETF of course, the first widespread web browser was Mosaic,

HTTP was created while Sir Tim was still working at CERN.

> While all these developments were going on, exactly what was
> the FSF doing? They were writing implementations of the Unix
> command line environment as defined by the POSIX specs.

Which is what I think traditional UNIX users usually think of when
they think of UNIX, isn't it?

Apache, X, SSH and TCP all happily run on non-UNIX systems. The UNIX
command-line tools are what makes UNIX UNIX.

Besides, the FSF have long had a very successful complete operating
system in emacs. The only bit that's missing (still!) is a decent text
editor.

... sorry!
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au