[clug] Testing RTSP Streams

Alex Osborne alex at mugofgrog.com
Tue Nov 13 03:28:21 GMT 2007

On 13/11/2007, at 1:31 PM, Paul Wayper wrote:
> The material shall not be used for:
>
>     * the purpose of satire or ridicule;

> [...] we in Australia aren't graced with the same 'fair use' rights
> that USAdians have.

Actually, recently an exception was added to the law to allow "fair
dealing" for parody and satire.  It has not been tested in the courts
though, so what exactly is allowed has not really been determined
yet.  See the ACC factsheet on fair dealing:

http://www.copyright.org.au/pdf/acc/infosheets_pdf/G079.pdf
http://google.com/search?q=cache:Xkm1LMixyWEJ:www.copyright.org.au/
pdf/acc/infosheets_pdf/G079.pdf (HTMLised version)

> Is material published by the Government covered by the same
> 'public use' rights that exist in the USA?

I don't think so.  Apparently Government copyright is pretty much the
same as any other organisation, there's just a few minor differences
such as when it expires.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_copyright_law#Government-
owned_copyright

Or if you don't believe Wikipedia, try the copyright act itself (see
Part VII--The Crown).

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/