[clug] Installing debian package.

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 10:32:24 GMT 2007

On 3/29/07, Barry Campbell <barryca at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> I am trying to install a Debian package in Kubuntu using the Konsole program
> but get the message  " The utility is not in your PATH please install it or
> contact your system administrator ".

Hi Barry.

There are many cluggers probably primed and poised to help you, but
you may want to provide a little more information to help people to
help you.

Perhaps start with telling us what you are trying to install and what
command you are using to install it.

Are you trying to install a .deb package that you have downloaded? If
so, perhaps you might try:

sudo dpkg -i the-name-of-the-thing-you-downloaded.deb

Or are you wanting the package system to venture out into the brave
world of the internet, find the thing you desire, copy it to your
machine and install it:

sudo aptitude install the-name-of-the-thing-you-want

or

sudo apt-get install the-name-of-the-thing-you-want

or

perhaps I'll skip aptitude's interactive mode or adept or synaptic or
flavour-of-the-month-installer.

Anyway, consider thinking your question through before asking and
you'll directly influence the quality of the replies. You'll also go a
long way if you manage to snip the complete digest that you seem to
have accidentally sent to the list with your question.

--
MC