[clug] Recording clug talks

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Mar 22 01:22:19 GMT 2007

On 22/03/2007, at 09:43 , Robert Edwards wrote:

> Other than that, a laptop with a lapel mic attached would do the job,
> to some extent and could encode directly into OGG (presumably vorbis?)

Most video cameras do a decent enough job to capture questions from
the audience (crappy quality, but still audible), especially since
the back of the podium is a solid, painted wall. I have a Røde
Videomic which gives a very good quality sound from "the front", with
muted sound from the sides (ie: the audience).

If you want to record stuff that's happening on-screen, you really
need a screen capture device - a video camera does not have the
resolution required to capture anything interesting. Using a video
editing program you can do transition between the gesticulating
presenter and the on-screen display ("Over here you can see..." [zoom
effect to overlay screen capture on top of video]).

The only catch is that a video camera will typically have a 90 minute
tape, so someone will have to cue the presenter to pause (and for all
discussion to cease!) for the 15 seconds it takes to change tapes and
battery, if the whole meeting is to be captured without losing
portions. Alternately the camera operator will need to take advantage
of breaks in presentations to change tapes ahead of time.

Whether it's a sound-only or video recording, someone will need to
dedicate the time to edit and index the presentation - I've found
that you need to budget thrice as much time as the presentation
lasts, in order to account for two reviews of the material - one
review with plenty of rewinds to get rough timings for indexes and
coarse editing, and a second review with a small number of rewinds to
fine tune the indexes and trim edits down to frames.

If someone's interested in being cameraman, I can arrange to get my
camcorder + videomic + tripod + tapes and batteries to Bob on meeting
days and pick it up the day after, making the edited video and sound
recordings available sometime on Saturday. Just the videomic itself
should be an excellent means to capture sound, if you have a
recording device with microphone input - the videomic is a powered
mic and provides very strong signals to the recording equipment.

I can't offer to host this stuff. IIRC, a 2 hour presentation can be
compressed down to really grainy video (just capturing the
presenter's antics with little detail) with high quality sound in
about 80MB.

It's a "trivial" exercise to take just the sound from the recording.
The presenter would then need to be aware that they can't just do
stuff on screen, they have to narrate their actions and the visible
outcomes since there is a blind person in the audience (ie: everyone
listening to the recording).

Alex