[clug] Debconf or dpkg problem

Ian darkstarsword at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 06:11:01 GMT 2007

Hi Mike,

I have mine on medium priority, which seems to ask the questions it
needs to in order to get the majority of packages working straight
away and not be too obtrusive when upgrading. Now if only those
"replace this config file?" questions were all asked at the start of
an upgrade rather than half way through when it finds it....

-Ian

On 27/06/07, Mike Carden <mike.carden at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tony.
>
> I'm starting to see that there's a necessary tension between having
> packages that ask a bazillion trivial questions on install and having
> packages that install quietly but just don't work when you install
> them.
>
> Looks like the Ubuntu and Debian boxes that I'd tried had their
> debconf priority set to High out of the box. I guess I can try it at
> Medium or Low and see how intrusive it becomes during upgrades.
>
> It looks like the default behavior of dpkg-reconfigure has adequate
> priority for my purposes, but I'm hoping to avoid jumping through that
> hoop after each installation.
>
> Cheers,
>
> MC
> --

On the day *I* go to work for Microsoft, faint oinking sounds will be
heard from far overhead, the moon will not merely turn blue but
develop polkadots, and hell will freeze over so solid the brimstone
will go superconductive.
     -- Erik Raymond, 2005
--
"Well, I don't know how we're going to print it out, seeing as how
somebody sliced off the back of your monitor. And quit rubbing that