[clug] Backups [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Nemo clug at nemo.house.cx
Thu Aug 9 23:51:49 GMT 2007

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 17:35:42 +1000, "Roppola, Antti - BRS" <Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au> wrote:

> An air gap (or at least electrically isolated gap) is an essential
> component of any backup strategy. At the moment, I dump to DVDs, but
> really want a separate backup server (say with a JBOD) that is not on
> the same power as my server.
>
> Someone I know had an electrical fault on their PC that friend *every*
> component that was plugged into it at the time.

True, but for me I have to balance it against number of personal machines
I have (two) and how many I'm sure will be on in the wee hours of the morning
to do the backup... (one)

DVD backups will wait for me till I've sorted my $HOME down to somewhat
less than 40gig. I've also had enough DVD's bitrot on me that I'd be using
dvdisaster (http://dvdisaster.sourceforge.net/en/) somewhat paranoidly too

>> obviously none of those directories had a file that was larger than
>> 1GB in it.
> Sounds like a project to develop and maintain a comprehensive set of
> storage tests might be of benefit to all.

Probably would be... but what is 'comprehensive' will be the tricky thing
to define.

.../Nemo