[clug] Trump Telstra once and for all

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Thu Oct 12 00:09:47 GMT 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 07:53:54AM +1000, Andrew Goodall wrote:
> On 12/10/2006, at 12:13 AM, Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:

> >LOL. You managed to get 13Mb/s out of the 10Mb/s hub on the ethernet
> >side of the ISG? That's both a relief, and a heck of a feat. ^_^

> >And a relief, in so far as upping the speeds on the ISG _might_ be as
> >easy as retrofitting a 100BaseT MAC onto the ISG... Hmm, that's a less
> >bleak result than the one I got from this discussion yesterday.

> Erm.... the ISG sports FastEthernet, so not sure where you're getting the 10 Mbit figure from.

Yeah, it's weird that. I _knew_ that wasn't the case, last time I went
to say that I even went and checked the nway status on mine, and it
agreed that it was 100Mb/s.

I know I spent half a day once tracking down a problem where my video
stream was breaking up, and it turned out that the 10Mb/s hub I'd
borrowed to intercept the stream for validation when it came out of the
ISG was getting flooded by the single video stream. (One of the
Discovery Channels, I believe...)

I guess it shows, old assumptions die hard.

> >If we accept the anecdotal understanding I have that there's a 155Mb/s
> >OC-3 to each of the pole-top boxes serving up to 50 customers, then
> >that's a pretty good reason to limit people to two simultaneous channels
> >at a time.

> >Of course, I strongly doubt that number, since I can't see how someone
> >would have multiplied 50 * 8 and gotten a value less then 155... Even in
> >1998, when "broadband" meant sharing a 2Mb/s cable TV downstream with
> >the rest of your suburb... (Back in the days when the opposite of
> >broadband was baseband, not "narrowband")

> Struggling to remember now, but the broadband node (OCC card for
> optical backhaul + VTR card for VDSL copper distribution) /may/ do
> some video switching as well, to the point that the node could serve
> more than two subscribers viewing a single broadcast channel with a
> single feed from the SDB Shelf upstream. Can't remember for sure,
> though.

I've always had the impression that it could. Now I'm going to be up at
night worrying that one day my neighbours will all be watching TV at the
same time, and I won't be able to watch cartoons... -_-

> And I remember thinking that 155 Mbit was too little when I first
> heard the number, too! Perhaps this will help a few people understand
> why TransACT can't offer data speeds that can compete with ADSL2+ over
> their VDSL network.

Oh, I know what happened. The initial submission said OC-12. A copy
editor confused the fibre backhaul with the VDSL and corrected it to
OC-1. A fact-checker noted that was too low, and bumped it pu to OC-3.

Or not... ^_^

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/