[clug] Free Ubuntu?

Tony and Robyn Lewis beakysnugger at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 20 12:36:55 GMT 2006

Michael wrote:
> I doubt ATI & Nvidia will ever release open source drivers. They have too
> much IP tied up in them for that move to be worthwhile.

This doesn't make sense to me.  They make their money by selling
hardware.  They could cut back on developers (for both Windows and
Linux) by open sourcing their drivers.  Linux (and Windows) get better
drivers.  Everybody wins.

I've heard it said that ATI have licensed the IP from elsewhere, and
that is the showstopper in opening the source.  In that case, the
originating company is protecting their future work by making sure ATI
has to keep paying them for driver development.

Tony Lewis