Faster broadband (Was Re: [clug] stupid Communications ministers)

Ben shadroth at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 06:29:53 GMT 2006

On 11/18/06, Jacinta Richardson <jarich at perltraining.com.au> wrote:
> direction.  I notice that iinet is offering up to 24,000/1,000kbps and may soon
> be available in our area.  What I really want though is Internode's offering:
> 24,000/2,500kbps but they don't have any plans out our way for the moment.

It's "only" 22.5/2.5 (you have to sacrifice download for upload on
roughly a 1:1 basis.

VDSL could deliver 50/5 and 25/25,  but it would only work very close
to the exchange (~300m) and may not work in conjunction with ADSL or
ADSL2+. It may need new cable to be stable and it would need a massive
"FTTN" (RIM) rollout to be effective.

> be honest, if any of them offered something like 1,500/1,500kbps they'd have a
> happy customer in me.

SHDSL at ~$400+/month for 1/1, ~$700+ for 2/2 and ~$1200+/month for 4/4

Or, if it suited your application, you may be able to combine several
links,  but that wouldn't speed up individual transfers.

> Our down-stream is "fast enough" right now.  That may
> change in the future, but right now it's fast enough.
>
> So I need faster broadband so that I can send files to the printers while
> customers are downloading course notes.  And other related things.

That could probably be achieved with multiple links.

Ben