[clug] Why switch to Linux?

Michael michael.ross at atice.org
Thu Nov 9 05:38:33 GMT 2006

> Chris Smart wrote:
>
> People can use Linux without their non-free video driver, but this does
> warrant some further looking into. Perhaps we need another section on
> the site, \"Issues with Linux\"? This section could discuss things like
> lack of full Microsoft Office compatibility, non-free drivers, codecs
> etc, things where Linux is still lagging behind? I do like the up front
> approach but don\'t want people to be scared off needlessly.

To offset that I would suggest a section on \'linux software\'. A lot of
the good common (IMO that I\'ve used) software has also been ported to
windows. If people start using things like:

* Firefox
* Thunderbird
* Openoffice
* Gimp
* Gaim

Then making the jump to linux is much easier to do.

regards,

--
Michael
michael.ross at atice.org