[clug] May CLUG Programmers' Special Interest Group meeting

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Tue May 9 07:45:04 GMT 2006

Here's the abstract I sent to Steve earlier, looks like it got lost in
the ether somewhere.

PHP extensions are C code that joins PHP scripts to the PHP core.  Most
PHP functions are implemented by using extensions.  Extensions allow:
	greater speed optimisations;
	the ability to close code for distribution;
	linking in of external libraries;
	imposing of limitations on php scripts;
	making PHP do some really odd and cool stuff.

I'll go through creating a simple extension from scratch and then look
at some of the things that are achievable using extensions that aren't
possible or easy with normal PHP code.

David