[clug] Subversion for sysadmin tasks

Michael James Michael.James at csiro.au
Mon Jul 31 23:58:33 GMT 2006

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 05:12 pm, Robert Edwards wrote:

> I looked into doing this as well.
> I am not sure that subversion is the right way to do it for /etc,
> main issues I identified are:
>   - ownership of files (when you extract from the repository,
>	   they all belong to you, but not all files in /etc
>	   are owned by root)
>   - preserving permissions on the files
>   - all those .svn directories lying around
>	   (and some of them are quite large).

On SuSE there is a config process run out of cron
 that sets permissions and ownerships according to templates.

The base set are in	/etc/permissions

Then overlay your choice of poison:
	/etc/permissions.easy
	/etc/permissions.secure
	/etc/permissions.paranoid

Then your custom files	/etc/permissions.local

The point is that running this as part of the version commit
 sets all the ownerships and permissions according to a file.
And the file is under version control.

michaelj

Michael James                         michael.james at csiro.au
System Administrator                    voice:  02 6246 5040
CSIRO Bioinformatics Facility             fax:  02 6246 5166

Here's a bit of /etc/permissions.secure:

#
# /etc
#
/etc/crontab      root:root          600
/etc/exports      root:root          644
/etc/fstab          root:root          644
/etc/ftpaccess    root:root          644
/etc/ftpusers      root:root          644
/etc/inetd.conf    root:root          644
/etc/inittab        root:root          644
/etc/mtab         root:root          644
/etc/rmtab        root:root          644
/var/lib/nfs/rmtab   root:root          644
/etc/syslog.conf      root:root          600

#
# suid system programs that need the suid bit to work:
#
/bin/su             root:root         4755
# disable at and cron for users that do not belnong to the group
"trusted"
/usr/bin/at        root:trusted      4750
/usr/bin/crontab   root:trusted      4750
/usr/bin/gpasswd  root:shadow       4755
/usr/bin/newgrp    root:root         4755
/usr/bin/passwd    root:shadow       4755
/usr/bin/chfn        root:shadow       4755
/usr/bin/chage      root:shadow       4755