[clug] Internal Modems

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Sun Jan 29 22:47:51 GMT 2006

Brett;

Most of the Internal ones are cheaper as they are winmodems, which is what a
modem would be if Satan ran the design shop. I've never liked Winmodems, and
always found them to buggy in their native OS. I don't know if anyone in
CLUG has any luck or not under Linux. Obviously, be wary of any winmodems
that use the Rockwell HCF chipset. All their work is done by their
(generally windows only) software.
http://howtos.linux.com/howtos/Winmodems-and-Linux-HOWTO-1.shtml#ss1.2 has a
good idea of some of the faffing about to get one of these working under
linux.

I've been using the (external) Netcomm CD2004 Mega-I-modems
(http://www.netcomm.com.au/Spec_Sheets/CD2004_Info.pdf) a few times for bits
and pieces. RRP is $120, but I've seen them around at places like U-Mart and
EYO for $80-odd.

Steve.