[clug] USB storage on USB2 with hubs

Steve Jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Thu Jan 26 01:06:24 GMT 2006

Mikal - a great heads up! Thanks.  some pricing for others interested...
A great alternative to Mini-ITX - especially if they are hackable!!
[$364 no-ram http://www.elx.com.au/item/ELS1002 ]

Linksys on their site have 4 Australian retailers.  One in Brisbane.
The NSLU2 is:
$161 @ Harris Technology
$198 @ Dick Smith
$179 @ CX Superstore (Sydney)
$146 online at 'Instant IT' [a bunch others there too]

It's a brilliant idea - especially if it does disk mirroring.  Put your
disk storage in a cupboard (locked!) and you've got a chance against
burglars and maybe fire... Trivial upgrades, backup by 'broken mirror',
quick-n-easy

HT have a product category "Small-Medium Business/Home NAS" with Netgear
& D-Link products. The Netgear SC101 is $192, takes 2 ATA (not SATA)
drives & does mirror ('automatically', I suspect).

There is the Snap Appliance Model 1100 80GB for $767 as well (and 250Gb
for $1100).

--
Steve Jenkin, Unix Sys Admin
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)