[clug] Canon i965 under Linux (Was: G'day from a newbie)

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Tue Dec 19 21:58:32 GMT 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 11:44:30AM +1100, Pilcher, Fred wrote:
> My lovely Canon photo printer (i965) has, as yet, no Linux drivers
> available so Windows will have a place under my desk until I either
> replace the printer or drivers become available.

Well, the good news is that Canon give more Linux support than most
people give them credit, but only on their Japanese website.

A mailing list post at [1] claims to have an i965 working using the
PIXUS i950 drivers from [2], but for me just now [2] appears to be
down. (And of course Canon have a long and glorious history of
renaming products for the International market... Although in this
case it's just moving the 'i' around.)

Canon's Linux drivers page is at [3], if you can parse or guess
your way through Japanese.

If you can't, there's some dicussion at [4]. You want to install
[5] and [6].

And for more general list interest, Debian and Ubuntu repackaging of the
CUPs drivers bt Takushi Miyoshi is at [7]. He's even rewritten the
pstocanon[bi]j program and PPDs supplied by Canon, since the supplied
ones crashed for him and the source was apparently awful.

Note that these drivers do depend on a binary .so, so you're limited
to i386, or AMD64 I guess. (Presumably with a little futzing...)

[1] http://lists.freestandards.org/pipermail/printing-user-canon/2004/001528.html
[2] ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/
[3] http://cweb.canon.jp/drv-upd/bj/other.html#linux
[4] http://www.suseforums.net/lofiversion/index.php/t16956.html
[5] http://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/bjfilterpixus950i-2.2-1.i386.rpm
[6] http://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/bjfiltercups-2.2-1.i386.rpm
[7] http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/