[clug] wokstation for processing MRI data

Edward Lang edlang at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 04:29:45 GMT 2006

Hi,

On 8/2/06, Peter Barker <pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au> wrote:
> Does this image process parallelise - trivially, can you process the
> images independently of each other? If so, you may be better off buying 10
> machines at $500 rather than a single machine at $5000. Just a thought.

Based on the description of their pipeline, it seems (superficially,
to me at least) to be a fairly computationally intensive sequence of
steps that would require a high degree of communication. The cost of
installing a high speed interconnect may well outweigh any benefits of
parallelising the process across a cluster...

Perhaps individual steps could be offloaded to a cluster, but the
entire process seems fairly linear / not best suited to out of order
processing...

https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/FreeSurferAnalysisPipelineOverview

(Ah, to be studying / working in HPC again! Perhaps I'm completely
wrong about this, in which case it'll be more studying :) Maybe
later.)

--
http://edlang.org/