[clug] Assistance to leave the Bazaar.

Michael Carden crash at michaelcarden.net
Sat Apr 29 02:05:13 GMT 2006

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 04:13 am, Steve wrote:
> If any Linux experts that live in
> the A.C.T. wish to assist and advise me in how to get Linux fully
> functional on my machinery in a dual boot configuration

Hi Steve.

You can ask your specific questions here if you like and I'm sure there are
many who will pitch in to assist. There are a variety of ways to create the
dual boot system that you're after and I'll make no claim to knowing
the 'best' one. I semi-regularly set up dual boot Windows / Linux machines at
work or for friends. Last Thursday I had to dual boot a Windows XP machine
with Fedora Core 5. Here's how I did that.

1. Clean up the Windows machine. It's likely that the Windows machine has
files scattered all over its hard drive. You need to remove any junk and
defragment the drive to make room for Linux.

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup

Be prepared for this part to take a while. Then the defrag which may also take
a while:

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmenter

2. Next you need to re-partition your drive to make room for a Linux
Partition. I use a graphical partitioning tool called QTParted. To get
QTParted I boot the PC using a Knoppix 3.9 'Live CD' where I work within a
fairly complete Linux environment. Other partitioning tools may be used... I
just happened to have a Knoppix CD to hand.

From memory, to start QTParted, boot into Knoppix, then:

KMenu -> System -> QTParted

Wait for it to gather your drive information then highlight your drive and
right click -> select Resize. Either use the slider or the up/down arrows or
just type a number to decide on a new size for your Windows (probably ntfs)
partition. From memory you then choose a menu option to execute your changes.

Device -> Commit		(I think)

Wait a bit while your partition is shrunk. I usually split the drive 50/50 for
Win/Lin but the ratio really comes down to your needs. I'd better state the
obvious here and mention that you shouldn't shrink the Windows partition any
smaller than the space it's currently using or it will die. Leave it some
room to breathe.

At this point you may choose to make a new partition from the space you have
freed up and give it a Linux partition type (probably ext3). Depending on
what Linux you go ahead and install you may not need to do this because many
Linux installers will take care of formatting the drive anyway, but it
shouldn't hurt if you do.

3. Install Linux. This week I used a Fedora Core 5 DVD, but I have recently
done the same with various Ubuntus (my current preference), Debian, Suse and
Damn Small Linux. The Fedora Core install is very much a colour-by-numbers
experience. Having created free space on the drive, I just selected the 'use
free space' option when presented with it by the installer. The installer
also set up the GRUB bootloader for me and prompted me to enter a name for
the existing OS (Win XP) to show up in its menu at boot time.

One issue to be aware of on dual boot systems. If you use a USB keyboard, your
PC may not see the keyboard until the OS has booted, so you can't access the
GRUB menu to select the second OS at boot time. If you use a PS2 keyboard, no
trouble. In theory, it ought to be possible to select a BIOS option to
support USB keyboards at boot to avoid this, but on the Dell GX-270 (A06
BIOS) I dual booted this week, this didn't work. So I have to keep a spare
PS2 keyboard plugged in to access GRUB at boot.

Any suggestions to address that little issue will be gratefully received.

Anyway, get out there and start fiddling!

MC