[clug] VPN routers

Steve Jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Thu Nov 10 03:22:25 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 20:46 -0500, Jsparksaa at cs.com wrote:
> Stephen,
>
>   I created a static route for 192.168.233.0 and I am now able to get
>  into the machine.  I do not see how to remove the 192.168.0.2 route.

You don't.

That number is tied to the other (en1) interface which is why the ICMP
reply packets for your ping went astray.
Unless you are the *only* person on that machine and know *for sure*
that the 192.168.0.0/16 network is not in use, you need to stay with
your current arrangement.  [Is anything plugged into that 2nd ethernet?]

To confirm the interface isn't in use and can be 'downed' with ifconfig,
you have to run a command like 'tcpdump' (linux) or Solaris' snoop (?)
for an extended period (24hrs, preferably longer).

If the 'en1' interface can be downed and the 192.168.0.2 address removed
from it, I'd add 192.168.0.2 [it's been allocated to that machine] to
the 'en0' interface as a second IP addr. [most likely en0:1]

You may have to add a route to 192.168 as well.
Not sure if you need a 'route delete' after an interface has been downed
and the IP number unassigned.

>  What are the repurcussions of "flushing" the route table?
> Is it automatically re-built?
> The answers are not important tonight, as I am able to do what I need to do.

>   I figured out what to do using the AIX SMIT utility.

SMIT is your friend :-)

> Thanks for the information that pointed me to the direction I needed to go.

You're welcome. Glad to be of help.

--
Steve Jenkin, Unix Sys Admin
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)