[clug] Help to find adsl

Michael Carden crash at michaelcarden.net
Wed May 25 09:42:38 GMT 2005

On Tue, 24 May 2005 09:51 pm, Brett Worth wrote:

> If you're in a place where Transact is available...

I use TransACT and http://velocitynet.com.au .

My link is only 256k down, but with telephone and television, it's a good deal
for me. Due to the free-TransACT-to-TransACT  local calls, what I once paid
Telstra I now pay TransACT but I get perfect TV pictures as well.

On the ISP side, I was a staunch Alphalink dial up customer, but now I pre-pay
a year of velocitynet's service for a couple of dollars more than my 56k dial
up was with Alphalink, but it's;

* obviously a lot faster
* up 24/7
* fixed IP
* possible to use phone / data (and TV of course) at once
* just been bumped to 3gig a month

When I joined I had 750 meg a month. It jumped to 1.5 gig with no fanfare and
yesterday I took a (rare) look at my monthly usage because I've started doing
daily grabs of Radio National Podcasts. Whaddya know? They give me 3 gig now.

TransACT plus an ISP is not the ideal situation for everyone, but it seems to
work well for me. A bit more speed would be nice, but I don't want it badly
enough to spend more money on it.

MC