[clug] Recompile running program

Joel Pearson pearj at writeme.com
Tue Mar 8 11:45:25 GMT 2005

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone remembers a talk at Linux conf 2004, where the
speaker recompiled a running program and told the program to load the new
code, and not drop any of the connections to it.

>From memory the speaker had a chess server and he was able to make some
changes to the chess server, recompile it and tell the running process to
reload itself.  And somehow managing to not drop any of the connections
(users) to the chess server.

I think the talk *may* have been the "A tour of my junkcode directory" talk
by Tridge, but I couldn't find any of the details of this talk.

It doesn't really matter if I don't find which talk it was.  A link to a
howto/article/whatever that talks about how to recompile running processes
is all I'm really looking for.

Thanks

-Joel