[clug] Maxtor II One Touch and Linux

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Mar 7 08:17:28 GMT 2005

Pearl Louis wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm thinking of buying a Maxtor One Touch II external hard drive.  I
> know it doesn't support Linux (officially), but I was wondering if it
> works in Linux at all?  I'm especially worried about the "DriveLock"
> feature.  Basically you cannot access the drive without a password.  To
> put in the password you need to use a special software utility.  Which I
> am 100% sure does not work with Linux.  Can you simply turn this feature
> off when you don't need it (obviously with a password...)?
>
> So would anyone like to share their experiences with this hard drive and
> Linux?

There is an IDE "LOCK DEVICE" (?) command, which is often used for the
drive password protection on laptop hard disks.  In principle you should
be able to call it from Linux, though I don't know if there is a command
for it already.  And I don't know if this is what that device uses.  It
would be nice if it did.

--
Martin